As the Australian Open gets underway, the world's best tennis players have spoken out following a BuzzFeed News/BBC investigation.
Kei Nishikori of Japan at the 2016 Australian Open at Melbourne Park. (Photo by Mark Kolbe / Getty Images)
Tennis authorities Monday said they had zero tolerance for match-fixing in tennis, after revelations that former singles and doubles Grand Slam champions, and at least one top 50 player who is competing at this year's Australian Open, have repeatedly been reported for losing games when highly suspicious bets were placed against them.
On the opening day of the Australian Open in Melbourne, top players reacted to the revelations, with defending champions Serena Williams and Novak Djokovic leading the way.
Saeed Khan / AFP / Getty Images
She added: "As an athlete, I do everything I can to be not only great, but historic. If that [match-fixing] is going on, I don't know about it. I'm kind of sometimes in a little bit of a bubble."
Fellow world No. 1 Djokovic, the defending men's champion, said match-fixers were not welcome in tennis.
"There is no room for any match-fixing or corruption in our sport," he said. "[But] there's no proof or evidence yet of any active player. It's just speculation."
via BuzzFeed - World http://ift.tt/1ZwLfRi
Put the internet to work for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment