Saturday, April 30, 2016

[Bouncr: 3v394] Anti-Government Protesters Storm Iraqi Parliament In Baghdad

The protesters demanded the government address corruption and called for the replacement of several ministers.

Protesters have been demonstrating outside the Green Zone, which is home to most ministries and embassies in the city, for several months.

The protesters appeared to be supporters of influential Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr. Sadr has been a vocally opposition to many Iraqi politicians, accusing them of failing to address corruption and waste in the government.

On Iraqi television
hundreds of protesters were seen smashing furniture and chanting as they occupied the parliament hall.

During a speech in the holy city of Najaf Saturday, Sadr said he could "destroy" the Iraqi government. Sadr has been demanded Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi replace ministers and overhaul the government.

"I am promising you that I will not make any agreements with other politicians. I work for the benefit of the nation.

"If the nation lets me I can end the current government and form a new one without any corruption. All the ministers should be changed. I am waiting for the nation to announce a revolution against corruption."

"The government has two choices: either reform or we will destroy it."


View Entire List ›



via BuzzFeed - World http://ift.tt/1Naw4x4

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment