Thursday, May 5, 2016

[Bouncr: 3v394] After Asking For A Photo To Be Taken Off Twitter, This Politician

He really should have seen this coming.

Australia's minister for immigration Peter Dutton fronted the media on Tuesday to talk about Hodan Yasi, a refugee who set herself on fire on Nauru on Monday and is now in Australia in a critical condition.

Australia's minister for immigration Peter Dutton fronted the media on Tuesday to talk about Hodan Yasi, a refugee who set herself on fire on Nauru on Monday and is now in Australia in a critical condition.

Alex Ellinghausen / Fairfax Syndication

Dutton blamed refugee advocates for the distressing situation on Nauru, where Hodan Yasi is the second person to self-immolate in a week.

"I have previously expressed my frustration and anger at advocates...who are encouraging [detainees] to engage in behaviours they believe will pressure the government to bring them to Australia," Dutton said.

However, Dutton's comments came as the UNHCR issued a statement condemning the situation on Nauru and Manus as "immensely harmful" and "completely untenable".

The statement called for all detainees to be moved elsewhere to humane conditions immediately.

As he addressed the media, a photo was taken which did not please the office of Mr Dutton. So much so, a staffer asked a reporter to remove the photo from Twitter.

As he addressed the media, a photo was taken which did not please the office of Mr Dutton. So much so, a staffer asked a reporter to remove the photo from Twitter.

"Keen observers would have noticed that I tweeted some of Alex's photos from the press conference as they came in," wrote Stephanie Peatling on the Sydney Morning Herald's live blog.

"The one below caused particular consternation for Mr Dutton's media team (he has three official press secretaries, the most of any minister other than the Prime Minister)."

"Mr Dutton's office felt it was 'unflattering' and demanded to know why I had tweeted it. I tweeted it with the caption 'Eek' meaning that if I were a press secretary to Mr Dutton I wouldn't be thrilled to see the picture."

"Mr Dutton's offsider took considerable umbrage with it and most strongly protested its presence on the socials. After one of those conversations where both parties say the same thing over and over again I agreed I would take it off twitter so long as I could say they asked me to do so."

SMH Politics Live Blog / Via smh.com.au


View Entire List ›



via BuzzFeed - World http://ift.tt/1rWCYg5

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment